Data Science Student Hackathons
We run free data science hackathons for Grades 5-12 classrooms in Canada. During our hackathons, students solve a problem by “hacking” or analyzing an open dataset. Currently, we only provide online data science hackathons due to COVID-19.
How our online hackathons work
- Students need a secure internet connection to participate.
- The hackathons typically run for 2-3 days.
- Students attend a virtual launch event, led by Callysto experts, to get an overview of the hackathon challenges and ask questions.
- Students work independently (or in groups) on their hackathon challenges.
- Students attend virtual support sessions, led by Callysto experts, as needed.
- Students submit their challenges to the Callysto team for judging.
- Callysto announces the hackathon winner.
- School or classroom hackathons: if you're a Grades 5-12 teacher in Canada, you or your school district can ask us to lead a hackathon. We handle the event from start-to-finish.
- Hackathon material creation: if you're a Grades 5-12 teacher in Canada and need help making hackathon materials, we can support you. We also have a hackathon planning guide to help you get started.
We provide free group, or one-on-one training for Grades 5-12 teachers in Canada about:
- How to use Callysto in the classroom
- How to help students learn to interpret graphs
- How to create a data science hackathon
- How to use data science in everyday classroom curricula