How many gamers stream their videos on Twitch?
Twitch is an online streaming platform that allows users to stream their activities (like gaming or chatting) with a global audience. It is advertised as the “world’s leading place” for gamers to stream their services.
And that is just what we wanted to investigate: is Twitch really the “world’s leading streamer”? We used data to answer the following questions:
- How many people actually watch gamers using Twitch?
- How many hours do people actually spend watching gamers using Twitch?
To answer our question we:
- Gathered data in February 2021 from a Twitch statistics and analytics website called SullyGnome.com.
- Created two pie charts that show 1) the top 10 video games in terms of peak simultaneous viewers, and 2) the most hours watched by viewers for the last 30 days.
Values displayed on each pie slice show the percentage of total number of viewers or hours for each video game, with all slices in a pie chart adding to 100%. Hovering over each pie slice also reveals the actual count of viewers or hours for each video game.
Reflect on what you see
Look and interact with the pie chart above. When you mouse-over the pie charts, you’ll notice more information appears.
Think about the following questions:
- What do you notice about the pie charts?
- What do you wonder about the data?
Use the fill-in-the-blank prompts to summarize your thoughts:
- “I used to think_______”
- “Now I think_______”
- “I wish I knew more about_______”
- “These data visualizations remind me of _______”
Share your reflections
Below are some ways to share your thoughts about the data visualization. If you want to publish your reflections online, make sure you check in with your teacher or guardian.
- Blogging (there are many free blogging tools)
- Creating videos (here’s a guide on creating YouTube videos)
- Drawings (Google Drawings is one tool you could explore)
Learn how we visualized the data
Go to our walk-through (in Jupyter notebook format) to see how we used the data science process to create the line graph. (This process included formulating the question, gathering the data, analyzing the data with code, and creating the visualizations.)