How popular are LED holiday lights in Canada?
In addition to holiday music (which we talked about in last week’s visualization) the holidays are often marked by people decorating their homes with lights.
We wondered how popular light emitting diode (LED) lights were in Canada, for holiday decor. Fun fact: LEDs are often known for being energy efficient.
To answer our question, we:
- Used Statistics Canada data about holiday lights.
- Created a line graph based on the Statistics Canada data.
Data source: Statistics Canada
Reflect on what you see
Look and interact with the data visualization above. When you mouse-over the line graph, you’ll notice more information appears.
Think about the following questions:
- What do you notice about the line graph?
- What do you wonder about the data?
Use the fill-in-the-blank prompts to summarize your thoughts:
- “I used to think_______”
- “Now I think_______”
- “I wish I knew more about_______”
- “This data visualization reminds me of_______”
- "I think Alberta had an increase in holiday LED lights because___"
- "I think there was a decrease in holiday LED lights in Nova Scotia because___"
Share your reflections
Below are some ways to share your thoughts about the data visualization. If you want to publish your reflections online, make sure you check in with your teacher or guardian.
- Blogging (there are many free blogging tools)
- Creating videos (here’s a guide on creating YouTube videos)
- Drawings (Google Drawings is one tool you could explore)
Learn how we visualized the data
Go to our walk-through (in Jupyter notebook format) to see how we used the data science process (formulating a question, gathering the data, analyzing the data with code, and creating the visualizations) to create the line graph.