Are there other holiday songs that are as popular as, 'All I want for Christmas is you' ?
You've likely heard this holiday tune before. If you haven't, play the YouTube video above. This single is by American singer-song writer Mariah Carey. According to Wikipedia, this song is, "the bestselling Christmas single by a female artist and one of the best-selling singles of all time."
To answer our question, we:
- Used Google Trends to find data about holiday songs.
- Created a line graph based on the Google Trends data, and compared it to Mariah's hit single.
Reflect on what you see
Look and interact with the data visualization above. When you mouse-over the line graph, you’ll notice more information appears.
Think about the following questions:
- What do you notice about the line graph?
- What do you wonder about the data?
Use the fill-in-the-blank prompts to summarize your thoughts:
- “I used to think_______”
- “Now I think_______”
- “I wish I knew more about_______”
- “This data visualization reminds me of_______”
Share your reflections
Below are some ways to share your thoughts about the data visualization. If you want to publish your reflections online, make sure you check in with your teacher or guardian.
- Blogging (there are many free blogging tools)
- Creating videos (here’s a guide on creating YouTube videos)
- Drawings (Google Drawings is one tool you could explore)
Learn how we visualized the data
Go to our walk-through (in Jupyter notebook format) to see he we used the data science process (formulating a question, gathering the data, analyzing the data with code, and creating the visualizations) to create the line graph.